Software Engineer - Java Python
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is actively seeking a Software Engineer for the Health Data Sciences & Analytics Group. The Software Engineer will support the National Health Mission Area. The NHMA seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the John Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges. The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
The Health Data Sciences & Analytics Group supports National Health by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, data analytics, healthcare domain knowledge, population health management, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges.
Software engineer will design and develop Java based web and desktop applications with database and GIS capabilities that support a variety of challenging research projects.
1. Participate in key technical efforts by applying and tailoring best practices of software engineering such as iterative, adaptive approaches. Elicit user needs and translating them into technical requirements and specifications as well as develop, test, and deploy software solutions. Furnish deliverables that meet sponsor needs and are consistent with APL quality standards, and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget for our sponsors. Promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others.
2. Document and present papers on current research and development activities.
3. Participate in technical project reviews, promote software engineering best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff, Section Supervisors, and Group Supervisor.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
• BS in computer science or equivalent and Java development experience.
• Applicants should have excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to solve problems with minimal supervision, and the ability to clearly express oneself both orally and in writing.
• Experience with SQL language and specific databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, or PostgresDB.
• Experience with GIS technologies including ESRI's ArcView, ArcIMS, GeoTools, GeoServer and Open Layers desired.
• Experience with Python.
• Experience with ETL technologies or solutions.
• Experience with many web application technologies preferred (including Servlets, JSP, Angular, EXT.JS, AJAX, Hibernate, Spring, Web Services, etc).
• A strong technical writing background.
• Experience in medicine, emergency response, or public health applications and/or exposure to clinical information systems and medical data standards.
• Secret Clearance or ability to obtain one.
Special Working Conditions:
A small amount of time to travel may be necessary to deploy applications or attend meeting/conferences.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top