Software Engineer - Human Machine Teaming
- Laurel, MD
Do you enjoy using data to solve hard problems?
Are you interested in developing intelligent systems to improve human machine interactions?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Software Engineer to help us develop systems that enable teams of human operators and AI-enabled machines to jointly confront the challenge of physical threats (such as firearms and explosives) to civilian and military targets. These systems must provide enhanced situational awareness by detecting, classifying, and tracking the presence of elusive threats in highly cluttered environments. They must further support rapid and effective response decisions to avoid catastrophic consequences. We strive to foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and fun. As a member of our team, you will contribute to projects for a range of government sponsors and work closely with operators to build tools to suit their needs.
As a Software Engineer...
- Your primarily responsibility will include leading and assisting in developing systems that integrate, exploit, and visualize data using state-of-the art technologies and techniques.
- You will communicate with government sponsors to understand operational needs and share ideas for meeting them.
- You will aid in proposals to develop innovative human machine teaming concepts.
- Have a BS degree in a technical field such as Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Computer Science or related degrees
- Have 5 years of experience in the areas of data visualization, human-machine teaming, human-computer interaction, data analysis and integration, or user interfaces for web, mobile, or desktop platforms
- Are highly skilled in one or more of the following areas: Python, Java, C , computer vision, and machine learning
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a MS or PhD degree in a technical field such as Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Computer Science or related degrees
- Have experience in one or more of the following areas: Angular, Julia, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Docker, OpenCV, user interface design and development, embedded AI computing, synthetic data generation, distributed intelligent computing, and object detection algorithms
- Have experience developing augmented reality, virtual reality, and/or mixed reality technologies/solutions
- Have a portfolio of interface and/or algorithm designs and code
- Have leadership experience as a manager or supervisor
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top