Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country's toughest national security problems?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes continual innovation?
Our team provides large-scale analytics and resource planning contributions to national, cyber, and homeland security programs. To succeed, we need talented software developers and engineers that are motivated to solve some of our nation's most difficult challenges. We are seeking a software engineer skilled in designing and developing deployable software systems. We are looking for individuals with curiosity as well as a drive to learn and innovate.
The Large-Scale Analytics Group develops software systems that incorporate big data analytics and modern visualization techniques to find information hidden deep within large and complex data sets as well as to build planning and scheduling systems for the US Government. We are looking for software engineers to provide high-quality and robust end-to-end software systems to support these applications. The successful candidates should be creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers, team players, and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As a Software Engineer, you will...
- Primarily develop software systems for national defense, cyber, and special operations missions, including the initial concept and design phases of the software life cycle.
- Collaborate with a diverse set of team members to plan, scope, and estimate levels of effort.
- Build, test, and deploy state-of-the-art applications, algorithms, software, and user interfaces.
- Build and cultivate relationships with sponsors and gather user requirements.
- Research and experiment with new programming technologies and look for creative uses of software technologies in unconventional ways.
You meet our minimun qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Have two or more (1+) years experience in software development, modern design patterns and web technologies using multi-tier architectures.
- Are proficient in Java, C++, C#, Python and/or similar structured programming languages.
- Are able to identify and document requirements to analyze processes and workflows.
- Exhibit effective communication and collaboration skills with team members and stakeholders.
- Are able to prioritize tasks and work as part of a team and/or independently.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a M.S. or Ph.D. in the disciplines listed above.
- Have experience with relational and non-relational databases.
- Have experience with agile methodology, automated unit testing, and continuous integration.
- Have experience with DevOps technologies such as GitLab, Ansible, Kubernetes, and Docker.
- Have experience with Cloud-based platforms (Azure, AWS, Google).
- Have experience with modern front end frameworks such as React, Angular or Vue.
- Are able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Are able to travel to local sponsor sites.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.