- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country’s toughest national security problems?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes continual innovation?
Our team is looking to provide large-scale analytics and resource planning contributions to national and homeland security programs. To succeed, we need talented software developers and engineers that are motivated to solve some of our nation’s most difficult challenges. We are looking for individuals with curiosity as well as a drive to learn and innovate.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a software engineer skilled in designing and developing deployable software systems.
The Large-Scale Analytics Group develops software systems that incorporate big data analytics and modern visualization techniques to find information hidden deep within large and complex data sets as well as to build planning and scheduling systems for the US Government. We are looking for software engineers to provide high-quality and robust end-to-end software systems to support these applications. The successful candidates should be creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers, team players, and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As a Software Engineer, you will...
- Gather requirements to drive the analysis and design of technical solutions
- Work in a team to plan, scope, and estimate level of effort
- Design and code software applications
- Test, deploy, maintain and enhance websites and database applications
- Develop and maintain software documentation and User Manuals
You meet our minimun qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Have extensive experience in software development, modern design patterns and web technologies using multi-tier architectures.
- Are proficient in Java, C , C#, Python and/or similar structured programming languages.
- Are able to identify and document requirements to analyze processes and workflows.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Are able to prioritize tasks and work as part of a team and/or independently.
- Are able to obtain a Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a M.S. or Ph.D. in the disciplines listed above.
- Have experience with relational and non-relational databases.
- Have experience with agile methodology, unit testing, continuous integration, and related devops methodologies.
- Are able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Some local travel to sponsor sites may be required.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top