The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to make critical contributions to critical engineering challenges facing our military sponsors.
Job Summary: Contribute to a team environment. Work within a culture in which innovation is encouraged and supported. Participate in brain storming sessions involving a wide range of staff with various academic backgrounds and experience levels. Directly contribute to the development of innovative ideas to solve critical engineering challenges. Design, develop, test, and model military planning tools associated with Air & Missile Defense (AMD). Utilize these tools to (a) conduct analyses to establish capabilities and limitations, (b) define requirements for systems to overcome these engineering issues, (c)
support Test and Evaluation (T&E) activities, and (d) conduct analysis to prepare for real world military scenarios.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task): 1.Participate in the development of military planning tools including models and simulations written in C , MatLab, and Python. Work to include object oriented design, algorithm design, algorithm implementation, code refactoring, software testing, and associated documentation. (55%)
2.Provide subject matter expertise for military test events and real world military scenarios by conducting research, studies, and analysis to provide supporting data and associated recommendations for Navy decision makers. (35%)
3.Develop and deliver formal technical presentations to sponsors and the engineering community. Effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results. Produce documentation to capture concept definitions, requirements, analysis results, and technical recommendations (5%)
4.Collaborate with early career staff to enhance their product and software development skills and practices (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 5 or more years of experience in developing software
- Strong development skills in utilizing C , Python, and Matlab
- Familiarity with the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) of Microsoft Visual Studio
- 5 or more years of experience in software architecture design and implementation
- Knowledge and application of Object-Oriented Design (OOD) principles
- Proven success working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated success in working in a software development team size of 3 or more people
- Good communication skills in both written and verbal
- Experience working with and domain expertise associated with DoD military systems
- Must have an active DOD Secret clearance
- MS (or PhD) degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 10 or more years of experience in developing software
- 10 or more years of experience in software architecture design and implementation
- Knowledge and application of agile software development principles
- Demonstrated success in working in a software development team size of 7 or more people
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal
- Experience working with and domain expertise associated with United States Surface Navy military systems
Special Working Conditions: Type special working conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours) here.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top