The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. is seeking a Software Engineer.
Develop next generation software in support of Trident weapon system data analysis.
- Design, develop and implement new software, and create solutions in existing software to meet upcoming instrumentation data recording challenges. Develop software to process onboard submarine recordings of shipboard data into data products to be used by the Trident analysis community. (80%)
- Perform systems analysis and software concept-to-delivery design processes (requirements, detailed design, implementation, test, configuration management and documentation). (20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) field, plus at least 3 years’ relevant experience
- Strong skills in software engineering
- Experience developing in Microsoft Visual Studio, C , C#, and/or .Net
- Experience with implementing best practices for source control, change control, and release management
- Expert verbal and written communication and interpersonal collaboration skills; must work effectively as a team player in a large technical team environment
- Expert time management, organization, and planning skills
- Dual major or minor in technical fields. MS in computer science or computer engineering.
- Wide knowledge of programming fundamentals (computer science, algorithms, database design, data structures)
- Experience with SQL Server or Matlab
- Experience with unit and/or automated testing frameworks
- Understanding of Databases and Data Modeling
- Experience with data reduction and data analysis.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills to lead small teams in developing creative solutions to complex problems.
Special Working Conditions: Some US and foreign travel will be required, not to exceed a few trips per year.
Security: Top Secret Clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Top Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top