- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about applying your software engineering skills to meaningful work?
Are you a problem solver ready to contribute to finding solutions to the nation's pressing cyber security challenges?
Do you work best in an intellectually stimulating, professionally rewarding, and fun environment?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our APL team.
Weare seeking a motivated and creative software engineer, who will play a majorrole developing novel security solutions in the area of Internet of Things,cloud computing, trusted computing, and security operations. As a member of theAPL team, you will develop novel solutions and new technologies for theGovernment across numerous agencies and departments. Ultimately, you will workwith teams of engineers and scientists who are passionate about innovation andare driven to make a real difference in defending our nation. We strive tocultivate an environment that promotes professional growth and a balanced life,and inspire diversity of thought. In more detail, your role will be to...
- Developing cutting edge solutions capable of defending, detecting, and responding to advanced cyber-attacks.
- Apply software engineering principles to design, develop, and test research prototypes that demonstrate future enterprise defense concepts.
- Assess, extend, refactor, and document existing research systems and technologies.
- Share knowledge by collaborating with and mentoring other APL staff, engaging with Government partners, and participate at conferences and in working groups.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field of study or 3 years of software development experience.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following programming languages: C, C , Java, Python, or a comparable language.
- Experience with software engineering practices across the software development process, including coding standards, version control (e.g., Git, Mercurial, or Subversion), code review, and testing / quality assurance.
- Experience with one or more of these technologies: Unix-like operating systems (e.g., Linux), shell scripting; malware analysis and reverse engineering; networking protocols (e.g., TCP, HTTP, and SMTP); cloud computing; virtualization (e.g., KVM, Xen, VMware).
- Good interpersonal skills - capable of working independently or collaboratively on a team.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Prior experience with Windows or Linux kernel internals and device drivers.
- Leadership experience on software development or engineering projects.
- Prior experience working with Government agencies are highly desirable.
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
WhyWork at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied PhysicsLaboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most criticaldefense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection ofchallenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APLpromotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefitsand healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in theBaltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Actionemployer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employmentwithout regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexualorientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any othercharacteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top