The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a software engineer to support the National Health Program Area (NHPA) in its Research & Exploratory Development Department (REDD). The NHPA seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the John Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges.
The Health Systems Engineering Group (R1L) supports the NHPA by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, data analytics, healthcare domain knowledge, population health management, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges.
The R1L Group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Software Engineer to support its healthcare systems engineering and research work. The successful candidate will provide support to multidisciplinary, cross-organizational projects by applying best practices in software engineering to design and develop Java based web and desktop applications with database and GIS capabilities that support a variety of challenging research and engineering projects.
1. Participate in key technical efforts by applying and tailoring best practices of software engineering such as iterative, adaptive approaches. Provide technical leadership to guide the development of customer solutions including eliciting user needs and translating them into technical requirements and specifications as well as develop, test, and deploy software solutions. Furnish deliverables that meet sponsor needs and are consistent with APL quality standards, and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget for our sponsors. Manage expectations of sponsors, and other internal and external stakeholders, by identifying, mitigating, and communicating risks on these projects. Establish and promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others.
2. Document and present papers on current research and development activities.
3. Participate in technical project reviews, promote software engineering best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff, Section Supervisors, and Group Supervisor.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
1. BS in computer science or equivalent and at least 5 years of relevant professional work experience to include Java development and experience with SQL language and specific databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, or PostgresDB.
2. Applicants should have excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to solve problems with minimal supervision, and the ability to clearly express oneself both orally and in writing.
1. MS in computer science or equivalent and at least 8 years of relevant professional work experience to include Java development and experience with SQL language and specific databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, or PostgresDB.
2. Experience with GIS technologies including ESRI’s ArcView, ArcIMS, GeoTools, GeoServer and Open Layers desired.
3. Experience with ETL technologies or solutions.
4. Experience with many web application technologies preferred (including Servlets, JSP, Angular , EXT.JS, AJAX, Hibernate, Spring, Web Services, etc).
5. A strong technical writing background.
6. Experience in medicine, emergency response, or public health applications and/or exposure to clinical information systems and medical data standards Secret Clearance or ability to obtain one.
Special Working Conditions:
A small amount of time to travel may be necessary to deploy applications or attend meeting/conferences.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top