Do you have experience with developing software for warfighter capabilities are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges?
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our close-knit prototyping team developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions critical to the defense of our nation.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
Prototype solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls through research, conceptualization, design, implementation, and evaluation as a member of an established team that has fielded numerous highly regarded capabilities. Subject areas differ widely over time, but current projects focus on cognitive communications systems and improving the exploitation of airborne sensor data through object tracking, multi-sensor correlation, data management, and operational data display.
Perform system design and software implementation of proof-of-concept prototypes incorporating several engineering disciplines: software development, signal/video processing, pattern recognition, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, network/web services, and visualization.
Support prototype evaluation, experimental operations at military facilities, and transitions of capabilities to government or industry.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- BS in EE, CS, or related field.
- At least 2+ years of experience in complex software development particularly in the areas of database system design, signal processing, environmental sensing, or software defined radios. Significant knowledge of C++ or Java in a Linux/Unix environment is also needed.
- Highly creative and interested in novel challenges. Self-starter able to work effectively in a demanding, multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a close team environment.
- Occasional travel and work at government and military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- MS in EE, CS or related field.
- 5 years of experience with complex software development
- Desire to build computer science/software development expertise to address cutting edge challenges.
- Strong ability to successfully apply educational background to real-world engineering problems.
- Interest and initiative to grow into a leadership position.
- Active Secret clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.