Software Development Engineer - C /Java
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience with developing software for warfighter capabilities?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join a close-knit prototyping team developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions critical to our nation's defense.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Prototype solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls through research, conceptualization, design, implementation, and evaluation as a member of an established team that has fielded numerous highly regarded capabilities. Subject areas differ widely over time, but current projects focus on improving the exploitation of airborne sensor data through object tracking, multi-sensor correlation, and operational data display.
- Research & concept development for solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls.
- Perform system design and software implementation of proof-of-concept prototypes incorporating a variety of engineering disciplines: software development, signal/video processing, pattern recognition, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, network/web services, and visualization.
- Support prototype evaluation, experimental operations at military facilities, and transitions of capabilities to government or industry.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- BS in EE, CS, or related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in complex software development and significant knowledge of C or Java in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Highly creative and interested in novel challenges. Self-starter able to work effectively in a demanding, multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a close team environment.
- Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- MS in EE, CS or related field.
- 5 years of experience with complex software development
- Desire to build computer science/software development expertise to address cutting edge challenges.
- Strong ability to successfully apply educational background to real-world engineering problems.
- Interest and initiative to grow into a leadership position.
- Active Secret clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top