Software Developer / Engineer - Java, C++
Summary: Development of applications for air and missile defense, including modeling and simulation (M&S).
- Lead the design, development, and enhancement of software for an advanced object-oriented Modeling and Simulation framework, including full life cycle support (requirements, design, implementation, testing, and debugging). Use object-oriented design and development techniques in the C++ programming language.
- Help define and develop creative and innovative software architectures and solutions to address emerging critical challenges faced by the Missile Defense Agency (MDA).
- Develop real-time software to integrate digital models with hardware in the loop.
- Analyze software complexity and select the best algorithms and tools to meet critical performance criteria.
- Contribute to specifications, software design documents, and user documentation and presentations for peers and customers internal and external to APL.
You should have:
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3 + years of software development experience, including Java and/or object-oriented design and implementation using C++ in a GNU/Linux environment.
- Experience working in a team setting, collaborating on software design and implementation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with software repositories, bug tracking systems, and collaboration tools.
Would be nice to have:
- MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent. Experience as a software task or project lead.
- Exposure to, or experience with, developing and integrating software into large scale systems.
- Familiarity with the Unified Modeling Language (UML) and UML tools.
- Familiarity with the extensible markup language (XML) and programmatic interfaces to XML documents and schemas.
- Software development experience for M&S applications; knowledge of M&S concepts such as discrete event, continuous time, and distributed execution.
- Experience with other programming languages, including MATLAB, python, or shell scripts.
Special Working Conditions: May require occasional travel.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws, and values diversity in its workforce.
Back to top