- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about building solutions for our greatest national security challenges?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative oriented environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
To address emerging national security challenges, we develop software systems that enable planning and decision making in diverse domains, such as cyber operations, social media analysis, and image processing. We want talented individuals who can work as part of a team to design, implement, test, document, and maintain software applications that provide highly impactful capabilities. You will combine software engineering expertise with the latest software research to build rapid prototypes and then turn them into mature product solutions.
As a Software Developer, you will...
- You will primarily work as part of agile development teams that design, implement, test, document, and maintain software-based applications that meet sponsor requirements
- You will work with sponsors and end users in defense or intelligence organizations to understand their operations and identify requirements
- You will seek out new and innovative ways to improve task efficiency and document software approaches
- You will stay abreast of industry and practices standards to ensure code maintainability
- You will explore promising new research areas and maintain/gain technical edge required for projects. Share approaches and methods
- You will establish relationships across organizational boundaries to increase collaboration.
You'll meet our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field
- Possess a minimum of 2 years of practical experience developing software using Java, Python, C#, MATLAB, or equivalent
- Possess experience working successfully within a team environment
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a Master's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field
- Possess experience with DoD and/or IC customers
- Possess experience with MATLAB and related tooling such as Maven, Tomcat/JBoss and others. Experience with network security and systems integration
- Possess knowledge of geospatial information systems, deep learning, and computer vision; experience in tensorflow/keras
- Possess experience with hierarchical bayesian modeling, programming experience with R/Bioconductor and/or Python to analyze genomics data
- You may be required to do limited travel to customer sites.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top