Software Defined Radio Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience with software-defined radio engineering?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Software-defined Radio Engineer, you will...
Develop advanced, practical capabilities supporting sponsors from the DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) of national significance.
- Develop and prototype innovative new software-defined radio technologies to implement complex communication and networking technologies.
- Deploy, integrate, and test the prototypes in operationally-realistic environments, and establishing close relationships with sponsors to ensure mission success.
- Analyze the performance of communication and networking technologies/systems, including software-defined radios. Optimize and refine algorithms and software implementations to meet evolving operational needs.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or a closely related discipline.
- At least 3 year of experience developing software for implementing the functions of communication or networking systems, or for modeling the performance of such systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with the physical and data link layers of communication or networking systems.
- Willingness to work off-site and may have limited travel both inside and outside the continental U.S.
- Ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- MS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or a closely related discipline.
- At least 7 years of experience per above. Expertise with all other tools listed above.
- Knowledge of and experience with U.S. military communication or intelligence collection systems.
- Familiarity with Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile/Phone, or other mobile operating systems.
- Familiarity with software-defined radio frameworks, particularly OSSIE, REDHAWK, and GNU Radio.
- Familiarity with commercial wireless communication standards.
- Familiarity with Simulink, LabVIEW, laboratory instrumentation.
- Active TS/SSBI with polygraph.
- Multiple active IC program involvements.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top