Social Network Analyst
- Laurel, MD
Are you interested in network analytics and social media?
Are you a scientist passionate about applying mathematics and statistics to the understanding of influence and messaging?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a mathematician to help apply theory and methodological expertise to social media. Projects would be broadly focused in the social media domain supporting Cyber Operations, Special Operations, Homeland Protection, and National Health mission areas. The successful applicant would join a multidisciplinary team of scientists who collaborate amongst themselves and with other specialized professionals from diverse fields to accomplish research and development efforts in support of United States government needs.
As a Social Network Analyst…
- Your primary responsibility will be providing expertise in theoretical models, research methodology, and statistical analysis to projects focused on social influence in the cyber domain.
- You will apply theoretical, groundbreaking research to the modeling and understanding of social networks and behavioral science.
- You will conduct empirical research to inform influence and counter-influence efforts.
- You will support technical teams in software development efforts relevant to social influence.
- You will translate existing science and technology to practice in the field of social influence to inform and improve U.S. Government efforts in various domains.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, cognitive science, computer science, or other related discipline.
- Have experience analyzing quantitative data using R, Python, MATLAB or other statistical package.
- Have experience applying research methodologies to understand real-world issues.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Master’s or PhD in mathematics, network analysis, statistics, cognitive science, computer science, or another related discipline.
- Have experience applying social network analysis to research questions focused on phenomena occurring on social media platforms.
- Have expertise in natural language processing.
- Hold an active Secret, Top Secret and can obtain a TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top