Service Desk Technician
- Laurel, MD
Do you thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment?
Are you organized, reliable and pay attention to details?
Are you passionate about helping users solve technical inquiries and work in a can-do customer focused team atmosphere?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Support Service Queue Coordinator who is passionate about supporting end-users on a variety of software and technical related issues. We are committed to evaluating user needs, defining technical problems, and working with engineering/development staff to provide sustainable solutions. We perform ongoing activities to maintain and enhance overall system performance. We are encouraged to identify, research, and problem solve. You will provide solutions as well as craft and maintain documentation for use within the department and deployment to end-users.
As a Support Service Queue Coordinator...
- Your main responsibility will be to lead and coordinate IT ticketing system queues for the service desk including scheduling and ticket queue assignments. In addition, collaborate with other Queue Coordinators to resolve ticket transition issues or improve the customer experience. Actively develop improvement initiatives and solutions to enhance documentation and improve processes. Monitor processes to ensure standard operating procedures are followed and that corresponding service tickets are addressed within identified SLA(s)
- You will assist with first call resolution for all technical issues. Help research, analyze, and diagnose problems with client systems including workstations, servers, peripheral equipment, networks, software, and storage.
- You will also be responsible for conducting one-on-one training for new employees and contractors. In addition, you will, conduct services analysis and deliver feedback on performance and compliance to the peer team members as part of a continuous improvements efforts.
- You will lead to resolution raised customer technical requests and security concerns. Pull in appropriate engineering resources to resolve customer requests in a timely manner.
- You will work on analyzing daily, weekly and monthly operational metrics. Maintain and update Standard Operating Procedures. Maintain documentation for audits, and perform routine internal audits of tickets and documentation in preparation for audits. Help develop and implement process improvements and assist with other projects which improve or are in support of departments and group’s goals.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years experience or 2 years of additional relevant IT experience.
- Highly motivated and have strong customer focus with the ability to collaborate with all levels of staff and management, with a demonstrated ability to learn and understand user issues / requirements and ensure they are resolved.
- Ability to independently analyze and resolve technical issues in hardware, software and networking for users.
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Are willing to work a significant portion of the time in a closed area.
- Have or are able to obtain an IAT Level II Certification including though not limited to Security CE Certification.
- Hold an active Interim Secret level security clearance and can ultimately obtain Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- 2-4 years' experience with system management tools.
- Experience with identifying security related issues such as malware or vulnerabilities.
- Capable of functioning as an authority and leading at least one small project team as a technical contributor.
- Software experience with Desktop remote control tools.
- Highly motivated with strong presentations skills and a desire to contribute to the success and direction for the group.
- Certifications: RHSA, Linux , A , Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (MCSE), Dell Certified Enterprise Engineer (DCEE), ITIL.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top