Senior Technical Compliance Support Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC, is seeking a Sr. Technical Compliance Support Engineer.
Working under the direction of the Cyber Security Compliance Section Supervisor, implement and provide hands-on technical support to Sector Information Technology teams to ensure government compliance security controls are maintained on the unclassified network, and in isolated networks distributed across APL’s 300-acre campus.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert on compliance security controls on unclassified desktop and server systems. Assist in the development and implementation of desktop and server system compliance controls and tools on a mix of Windows, Macintosh and Linux systems. Work with system owners to assess risk and implement and audit computer security controls to include: access controls, audit and accountability, configuration management, systems maintenance, media protection, systems communications, systems and information integrity to include encryption. Analyze and design unique solutions to resolve issues while applying compliance controls to remediate flaws and vulnerabilities. (60%)
- Work with appointed Information Systems Security Managers (ISSMs), Information System Security Owners (ISOs) and Information Systems Security Officers (ISSOs) to create and revise Systems Security Plans (SSPs), Plans of Actions and Milestones (POAMs), and other documentation necessary to meet regulatory compliance requirements for unclassified information systems.(20%)
- Generate and share documentation of best practices, lessons learned, and recommendations based on experience / techniques gained from implementing government compliance security controls on desktop / server systems. This includes creating step-by-step procedures / process improvement documents and sharing knowledge articles and information gained by delivering presentations to other technical team members. Train new team members on government compliance security controls. (10%)
- Perform other duties as assigned (e.g. conference facility set-up, project work, etc.) (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 5 years of IT related work experience in a complex network environment including advanced troubleshooting and problem resolution. In lieu of a degree a total of 7 years’ relevant IT work-related professional experience
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with ability to independently develop solutions
- Excellent team work and customer service skills
- Excellent verbal, written and diplomacy skills with the ability to multi-task, and work well under pressure
- Hands on working knowledge of Windows, Unix and Linux operating system security requirements and IPv4 networking
- Technical expertise in some of the following areas: PowerShell, Python, BASH or other scripting language, Log file analysis audit capabilities
- Master’s Degree in Information Security or related discipline
- CISSP, GSEC or Security Certifications
- Working knowledge of NIST 800-171 and/or NIST 800-53 Rev 4
- Technical expertise in some of the following areas: Altiris, Casper, Lynis, Splunk, McAfee AV – McAfee SEE, Nessus
Special Working Conditions:
Willing to support and work the necessary hours to finish critical work. Occasionally drive APL vehicles on and off campus. Ability to walk long distances between buildings on a routine basis. Willing to occasionally (less than 5%) travel within or outside of Maryland. Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top