Senior Systems Software Engineer
Do you enjoy developing creative solutions to challenging problems?
Do you want to make meaningful contributions to national security through software and systems engineering?
Are you passionate about working with groundbreaking next generation technologies?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative, energetic, mid-to-senior level lead engineer to develop and expand complex scientific modeling and simulation (M&S) software systems.
As a member of our team, you will leverage your unique software system experience to integrate complex system of systems that introduce new innovative capabilities that explore algorithm development and drive technology exploration activities. You will be joining a hardworking and expert team of engineers, subject matter analysts, and software developers in an inclusive environment that values creative collaboration and innovation.
Your career experience will help you navigate complex software systems to implement new capabilities, identify areas of improvement, and troubleshoot anomalies. You will use your critical thinking skills to verify and validate M&S results to ensure work products are accurate and complete. You will also be able to create adaptive frameworks and software tools to explore real world analysis activities.
Your contributions will help us answer our Sponsors' call to architect, develop, and integrate software capabilities that model current and next-generation Integrated Air & Missile Defense Systems (IAMD). We are passionate about developing the systems and tools to accurately assess and answer our Sponsor's critical questions on our nation's air and missile defense capabilities.
As a Senior Systems Software Engineer...
· You will develop software for modeling and simulation systems running on Linux and Windows servers and clusters.
· You will develop software system prototypes and data analysis tools.
· You will perform complex system of systems software integration.
· You will perform verification of validation analysis activities.
· You will create documents, presentations, and memoranda of critical work.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
· Possess a BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Math or a related field
· Have 5 years of experience
· Are proficient with C programming
· Have experience in object-oriented programming
· Have software systems engineering experience
· Have experience with scripting languages such as Python, Shell, or other similar languages
· Have experience with distributed version control tools such as Git
· Are familiar with unit testing concepts
· Are familiar with development work flows and software development and collaboration tools
· Are comfortable using and developing on Linux and Windows systems
· Have strong software development lifecycle experience
· Are willing and able to travel on occasion, if needed
· Have the ability to obtain a Secret clearance. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
· Possess a MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Math or a related field
· Have 10 years of relevant experience
· Have prior software project and technical leadership experience
· Have software architecture development experience
· Have experience programming in MATLAB and bridging MATLAB with C
· Have experience programming in Java
· Have experience with real-time programming and multi-threaded programming
· Have experience with microservice and service-oriented architecture development
· Are familiar with working with virtualization containers such as Docker
· Have experience developing in a Microsoft Windows environment
· Have Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense and Anti-Air Warfare domain experience
· Have the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top