Senior Systems Software Engineer
The Advanced Concepts and Technologies Group (A3G) in the CombatSystems Branch of the Air and Missile Defense Sector (AMDS) is currentlylooking for a creative, energetic, mid-to-senior level lead engineer to developand maintain complex scientific modeling and simulation (M&S) softwaresystems to take the role of Senior Systems Software Engineer. The M&Ssystems we develop play a vital role in our nation's Integrated Air &Missile Defense.
Inthis position, you will develop and maintain software that support IntegratedAir & Missile Defense system analysis. You will leverage your software system experience and developmentskillsets to integrate complex system of systems that introduce new innovativecapabilities that explore algorithm development and drive technologyexploration activities. Your careerexperience will help you navigate large mature code baselines to implement newcapabilities, identify areas of improvement, and troubleshoot unexpected anomalies. You will use your critical thinking skills toverify and validate M&S results to ensure your work products are accurateand complete. You will also be able tocreate adaptive frameworks and software tools to explore real world analysisactivities.
Oursponsors rely on us to architect, develop, and integrate software capabilitiesthat model current and next-generation Integrated Air & Missile DefenseSystems (IAMD). If you share our enthusiasm for providing criticalcontributions to critical challenges and you want to support our mission, thenwe would like to hear from you.
In AMDS we pride ourselves on pushingour highly-skilled team members to grow, specialize, and experiment in theirown individual areas of interest, and to bring that unique expertise to bear onthe critical challenges facing our nation. Become part of this innovative team at the forefront of groundbreakingtechnology development and analysis.
- Software development for modeling and simulation systems running on Linux and Windows servers and clusters (50%)
- Development of software system prototypes and data analysis tools (25%)
- Complex system of systems software integration (10%)
- Performing verification and validation analysis activities (10%)
- Creation of documents, presentations, and memoranda of critical work (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing ofduties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essentialfunctions at time of hire and may change over time.
TheJohns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leaderin scientific research and development. In that spirit, A3G is looking tocultivate and encourage today's most innovative, ambitious, dedicated thinkers topropose new technologies and provide solutions for next-generation problems.With a vast network of cutting-edge technology and resources—and a laboratoryfull of brilliant minds—we invite you to apply for this competitive andrewarding position and to seize the opportunity to impact the world in which welive.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Math or a related field
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency with C programming
- Object-Oriented programming experience
- Software systems engineering experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Shell, or other similar languages
- Experience with distributed version control tools such as Git and/or Mercurial
- Familiarity with unit testing concepts
- Familiarity with development work flows and software development and collaboration tools
- Comfortable using and developing on Linux and Windows systems
- Strong software development lifecycle experience
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance
- MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Math or a related field
- 10 years of relevant experience
- Prior software project and technical leadership experience
- Software architecture development experience
- Experience programming in MATLAB and bridging MATLAB with C
- Experience programming in Java
- Experience with real-time programming and multi-threaded programming
- Microservice and service-oriented architecture development experience
- Familiarity working with virtualization containers such as Docker
- Experience developing in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense and Anti-Aircraft Warfare domain experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
Special Working Conditions:
Occasionaltravel for meetings and program reviews.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a governmentsecurity clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access toclassified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including aliberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educationalassistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, andcompetitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For moreinformation about our organization, please visit our web site atwww.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/AppliedPhysics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employerthat complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as wellas other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration foremployment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, genderidentity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Classification AssociateProfessional Staff II - Alternate Classification Senior Professional Staff I
Back to top