Senior Structural Analyst
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Senior Structural Analyst.
Job Summary: P erform structural analysis & test on active spaceflight hardware programs and proposals. Perform static and dynamic finite element analysis, kinematic analysis, static and dynamic load testing.
- Work as a Lead Structural Engineer of the mechanical team supporting all functions related to the design and test of flight and ground support hardware for Space Department missions.
- Perform finite element structural and dynamic analysis for Space Department missions using the FEMAP pre and post processor and MSC NASTRAN analysis code. When required, perform kinematic analysis using MSC-ADAMS, develop MathCad, MatLab and Excel spreadsheets. When required, perform hand stress analysis using standard references such as Roark and Bruhn. When required, perform hand vibration and dynamics analysis using standard references such as Steinburg and Thompson. Knowledge of MSC-Marc or ABAQUS useful.
- Support hardware integration, component and sub-system flight and non-flight vibration, static load and deployment testing. Formulate and implement system level test plans and procedures. Lead system level sine, random and acoustic vibration testing, shock testing, mass properties and spin balance testing.
- Assist in developing budgets, staffing, resource managements, test and development schedules. Interface with the in-house machine shop working fabrication issues. Evaluation of fabrication drawings for design intent.
- Work as a member of a proposal team, made up of diverse engineering specialties, in the generation of spaceflight proposals for various sponsors.
- Travel and support program level meetings and reviews off site.
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience on aerospace projects.
- Must be able to work well as a member of a team: good communication/interpersonal skills.
• MS in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
• 10+ years of experience on aerospace projects.
• Completed several aerospace projects from start to finish as Lead Mechanical Engineer/Analyst.
• Ability to work closely with both the mechanical designer in all phases of the design and analysis process and with the technician during testing.
• MSC-NASTRAN,MSC-MARC, MSC-ADAMS, ABAQUS experience.
• Experience in the selection of aerospace materials, including composites.
• Experience in the design, analysis and test of aerospace mechanisms and robotics.
• Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings to ensure the drawings meet the design intent. MathCad or MatLab, MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint and MS Project software experience.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top