The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. is seeking a Senior Statistician.
Job Summary: The senior statistician will collaborate with engineers and scientists on multidisciplinary research projects. This position is involved in planning and executing experiments to evaluate the performance of complex systems. The statistician will lead the statistical analysis of data, and the design of experiments as needed, and serve as an expert in various statistical areas. The statistician will program, document, and validate software code in R and/or SAS to execute data handling tasks, perform standard data analysis, and produce data visualization results.
- Work with statisticians, engineers and scientists to characterize research questions, develop test plans to collect data and conduct appropriate statistical analyses to address research questions. (40%)
- Design, implement, test, and document statistical computer programming in high level statistical software packages, including SAS and R. (30%)
- Write summary reports of analyses, and create graphs and tables of results for use in test plans and reports. (10%)
- Participate in team meetings to contribute to the development and review of test and analysis plans. (10%)
- Interface with internal and external management, sponsors and prime contractors regarding analysis results and emerging studies. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- MS degree in statistics or a related technical field with at least five years of experience performing statistical analysis.
- Experience using statistical programming languages including R and/or SAS.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time to complete multiple simultaneous projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, analytic results to study team and internal management.
- Ability to interface with senior military and civil service personnel.
- Experience developing and executing test plans to support analysis requirements.
- Experience with statistical design and analysis of experiments.
- PhD in statistics or a related technical field with at least seven years of experience performing statistical analysis.
- Willingness to work in cross-departmental teams and learn details of the application to ensure the statistical analysis being developed is appropriate.
- Proven ability to communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience leading small teams and projects.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional travel to sponsor location and to contractor and Government facilities for meetings and reviews. Occasional support of test events involving extended hours, travel aboard submarines and travel to field sites.
Security: Secret Clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top