Senior Software Engineer/Software Architect
Are you passionate about building solutions for our greatest national security challenges?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We want talented individuals who can work as part of a team to design, implement, test, document, and maintain software applications that provide highly impactful capabilities. You will combine software engineering expertise with the latest software research to build rapid prototypes and then turn them into mature product solutions.
As a member of our team, you will…
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software applications in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Interact with users to understand their operations and gather requirements.
- Lead design reviews to gather critical feedback on system design, integration, and testing.
- Document and present work on current research and development activities.
- Seek new and innovative ways to improve task efficiency and document software approaches.
- Establish relationships across organizational boundaries to increase collaboration.
You'll meet our minimum requirements if you have…
- A B.S. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- 7 years of Java, C , or C# development experience.
- Demonstrated experience as a technical lead of a software project.
- Comfort working with loosely defined or high-level requirements (as opposed to a fully defined project schedule).
- Ability to creatively contribute towards developing new requirements by identifying customer needs and applying expertise and knowledge of available methods, tools, and concepts to those needs. This experience should include setting requirements, defining architecture, scoping work for and tasking team members.
- Experience with relational databases (Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, SQL etc.) and non-relational databases (MongoDB, CouchDB, HBase etc.) in the areas of query optimization, database design and scalability.
- Experience working successfully within a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess a TS/SCI clearance w/ polygraph or are able to obtain. US citizenship required to be eligible for clearance.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have…
- M.S. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Experience in Agile software development.
- Experience with DoD and/or IC customers.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top