Senior Software Developer
Do you love developing creative solutions to challenging problems?
Are you searching for important software development work, where you can contribute to some of our country's most fascinating security challenges?
Are you passionate about working with groundbreaking next generation technologies?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings extraordinary expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. We are seeking a senior full-stack software developer to help us build innovative analytical based software solutions to take on critical challenges for the homeland and abroad. Your contributions will help us transform data into knowledge that provides decision makers the relevant information to improve the way business is done today. Within APL's Large Scale Data Analytics group, you will join part of a hardworking team in an inclusive environment where we cultivate intellectual curiosity, innovation and creativity.
As a Senior Software Developer you will...
- Primarily conceptualize, design, develop, test and deploy software systems for national defense, cyber, and special operations missions.
- Collaborate with a diverse set of team members to build state-of-the-art applications, algorithms, software, and user-interfaces.
- Build and develop relationships with sponsors and gather user requirements.
- Research and experiment with new programming technologies and look for creative uses of software technologies in unconventional ways.
- Provide technical direction and mentor team members.
- Document and present current research and development.
- Contribute to technical project evaluations and promote software development practices and methodologies.
You'll meet our minimum requirements if you …
- Possess a Master's degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- Have 10 years of practical experience with all aspects of software development: capability assessment, concept exploration, rapid prototyping, automated unit testing, solution implementation and deployment of software solutions.
- Possess technical expertise for multiple languages (Java, C , Python), database technologies (Graph or Relational DBMS), and front-end frameworks (Angular, Node.js, Spring); and are able to influence technical direction.
- Have experience working in an Agile team environment.
- Exhibit effective social and collaboration skills with team members and sponsors.
- Have the skill to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level of experience.
- Exhibit the ability to direct, mentor and provide feedback to team members.
- Have practical experience in DevOps technologies and concepts such as continuous integration.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond if you …
- Have led mid to large sized development teams that have deployed solutions into operational private or public sector environments.
- Have experience in the SCRUM Master role.
- Have experience with administration of DevOps technologies such as GitLab, Kubernetes, and Docker.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top