Senior Research Engineer
Job Summary: APL is currently looking for an exceptionally creative, driven individual with a strong technical background to take on the role of Senior Research Engineer. Ambitious and savvy, the successful Senior Research Engineer will be part of a technical team supporting the development of advanced algorithms for the situational assessment, discrimination, classification, information fusion and automated exploitations of heterogeneous information.
We pride ourselves on pushing our highly skilled team members to grow, specialize, and experiment in their own individual areas of interest, and to bring that unique expertise into current scientific discourse. Become part of this innovative team at the forefront of groundbreaking technology analysis and development. Lead and mentor staff that will become the next generation of technical experts. Produce tangible results and join an elite few with the opportunity to impact the future of defense research.
- Utilize existing, and create new, data association methods to confirm known correlations between different data streams, as well as discover new, unknown correlations between those data streams.
- Develop M&S models for tracking and discrimination.
- Document results of research activities and write technical reports, conference papers, and journal articles.
- Review existing algorithms and assess their applicability to sponsor tasks.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. In that spirit, A3G is looking to cultivate and encourage today's most innovative, ambitious, dedicated thinkers to propose new technologies and provide solutions for next-generation problems. With a vast network of cutting-edge technology and resources—and a laboratory full of brilliant minds—we invite you to apply for this competitive and rewarding position and to seize the opportunity to impact the world in which we live.
- PhD in Physics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or other relevant field
- 4 years of demonstrated experience building algorithms, mathematical models, or similar applications
- Creative thinker with track record of generating innovative ideas
- Proficiency in Matlab; working knowledge of Object Oriented Programming (OOP), as well as C or Java
- Ability to rapidly learn requirements of new domains and develop practical solutions to address emerging challenges
- Ability to work effectively as a technical leader or as a part of a multidisciplinary technical team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Desired Qualifications: Strong publications record in peer-reviewed literature; demonstrated successful technical leadership experience; experience with both structured and unstructured data analysis and processing; strong knowledge of radar and IR data; experience with Multi Hypothesis Tracking (MHT).
Special Working Conditions: May require occasional travel.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top