Do you love to design, analyze and test spaceflight hardware?
Are you searching for meaningful work in aerospace?
Are you passionate about packaging engineering?
Do you like contributing to challenging projects?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (APL).
We are seeking a Senior Packaging Engineer to help us build and test the next generation of spacecraft. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to cutting edge research and technology. You will be joining a hardworking team of mechanical engineers who design, analyze and test flight hardware. We are passionate about our work. Our team is committed to delivering the best solutions on time and budget. We strive to foster an environment of teamwork. Our team values leadership and communication skills.
As a Senior Packaging Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to lead the design effort of space-qualified electronics hardware from conceptual definition through final implementation, including proposal generation, electronics conceptual design, structural and thermal analysis, feasibility analysis, reliability studies, and testing
- You will promote innovative electronic packaging techniques with an understanding of advanced electronic Physics-of-Failure (PoF) and corresponding requirements for space applications.
- You will advocate for state of the art electronic assembly/fabrication techniques and collaborate with APL mechanical/electronic fabrication Groups for needed capital investment and process development.
- You will participate in fabrication feasibility/readiness reviews, design reviews, configuration control board reviews, technical briefings, and vendor performance reviews.
- You will evaluate technical performance of vendor supplied parts and subsystems.
- You will participate in independent technical assessment of in-house and external subcontractor manufacturing capabilities.
- You will enable Mechanical/Packaging standards/procedures for APL space electronics.
- You will mentor junior members of the team.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
• BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Material Sciences.
• Have 10+ years of experience in electronics mechanical/packaging engineering.
• Familiar with CAD, CAE software (CREO, FEMAP, NASTRAN, ANSYS, TAS, etc.).
• Familiar with NASA, ANSI, IPC, and MIL requirements, systems safety, parts control, and materials selection for space flight hardware.
• Must have good communications and team building skills
• Are willing and able to travel to attend and present at different reviews and work a variable schedule during times of testing.
• Are able to obtain a TS/SCI clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
• Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
• Have hands on experience with thermal and stress (linear and non-linear) analysis.
• Have completed several aerospace packaging projects from start to finish.
• Demonstrated the ability to work closely with engineering teams in all phases of the design, analysis, assembly, and testing process.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.