Senior Operations Research Analyst
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about solving complex problems by developing creative and adaptive techniques?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!!
We are seeking a systems engineer or operational research analyst to help us conduct and lead a broad range of operational analyses focused on critical national security challenges. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to complex missions for U.S. national security components including the Armed Services, Special Operations, and national emergency support.
We at APL are passionate about building new and exciting solutions for our sponsors, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to cultivate an environment of collaboration and teamwork, and highly value substance and innovation. At APL, you will join creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers, and life-long learners that work to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As a member of our team you will...
- Lead and contribute to operational analyses.
- Conceive of and gather user needs to develop capabilities-based concepts and requirements for defense organizations, commanders and staffs.
- Provide domain knowledge to conduct mission related analysis and research.
- Present findings and conclusions to sponsors in both oral and written form.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a MS or PhD degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Have 5 or more years combined graduate education and professional experience in operations planning, data and operations analysis, system architecture, and/or modeling and simulation, as well as providing impactful analytic products resulting in solutions.
- Have knowledge of model-based systems engineering (MBSE) methods.
- Have the capability to promote positive change to top-level military or civilian leaders in security positions.
- Possess knowledge in analyzing and developing solutions with respect to policy, doctrine, organizations, training, logistics, personnel and facilities.
- Have superb written/oral communications skills and the ability to articulate complex technical issues to technical and non-technical decision makers.
- Are willing and able to occasionally travel, including local travel.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have 10 or more years combined graduate education and professional experience.
- Knowledgeable in the development of service or department policy, planning and execution of current operations in areas related to special operations forces (SOF), cyber operations, and Homeland Security.
- Demonstrate accomplishment as a technical leader in analysis and in successfully collaborating with Service Chiefs, Combatant Command (COCOM), and other senior military staff and government officials.
- Have an understanding of DoD / DHS policy development, acquisitions processes and studies such as JCIDS, JREM, Analysis of Alternatives, Mission / Utility assessments, and cost-benefit analysis.
- Have in-depth knowledge of analytical methodologies, including data and collaborative analysis techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency as a technical contributor.
- Hold an active Secret, Top Secret, or TS/SCI Clearance and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top