Senior Linux Administrator
Are you an experienced Linux system administrator with a passion for scripting automation and data center engineering?
Are you a critical thinker who proactively solves problems?
Do you enjoy custom engineering hardware and software solutions to meet customer needs?
Are you a self starter who loves to keep yourself busy?
Do you take pride in your ability to communicate?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Senior Linux Administrator to help us manage and administer Asymmetric Operations Sector classified computing facilities to ensure facilities are in compliance with current APL policies, InfoSec guidance, industry best practices, and NISPOM rules and regulations. In this role, the selected candidate will provide computer hardware/software support in configuring and maintaining systems used in laboratory environments and field tests. The candidate will also collaborate with line and program leadership to provide cost-effective computing solutions which support direct funded tasking.
As a Senior Linux Administrator...
- Your primary responsibility will be partnering with AOS project teams to provide technical engineering and administration for AOS classified computing facilities in support of government programs and missions. This includes installing/configuring/troubleshooting software applications and hardware as well as identifying new software and hardware needs.
- You will provide hardware/software support and integration for internal sector information technology projects, meet with project managers to understand project scope and priorities, and identify and coordinate the procurement of required hardware/software.
- You will provide technical guidance and participate in collaborative activities with AOS systems administrators, and facility managers to ensure close coordination, cooperation, and consistency in AOS computing and facility processes and procedures.
- You will standardize classified systems through the use of configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible)
- You will automate administrative tasks using scripts and/or management tools.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Bachelor's degree in relevant Information Technology field. Combination of experience and relevant certifications may be substituted for degree requirement.
- 5 years of demonstrated experience in an administrator role with Linux server and desktop operating systems, such as Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS, FreeBSD, Fedora
- Proficiency in using scripting for automation of tasks and deployments (Bash/Shell, Python)
- Experience installing and configuring custom and COTS software, web applications, and hardware
- Experience integrating Linux services into a Windows based environment, including authentication, resource sharing, and configuration management tools
- Demonstrated ability to be timely and agile in a dynamic environment
- Ability to identify project/program needs and develop strong technical, innovative solutions for addressing use of existing and future computing resources
- Are able to obtain within 6 months of hire and maintain a security certification in accordance with DoD 8570.01-M. Examples of qualifying certifications include Security , CISSP, CASP, or similar.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Proven experience leading projects in an administrator role
- Experience implementing controls based on the Security Technical Implementations Guide (STIGs) and the Risk Management Framework
- Experience with any of the following technologies: VMware, Cisco Networking, NetApp storage
- Demonstrable expertise in the use of Ansible configuration management
- Linux OS technical certification (Linux , RHCSA, RHCE, etc)
- Any of the following certifications: VCP, Dell, Sec , CASP/CISSP
- Graduate degree in Technology Field or 10 years of relevant experience
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top