Senior Human Resources Business Partner
Job Summary: Serve on a highly active, fast-paced, and quality-oriented HR Department Service Team (DST) as a senior level HR business partner/generalist, providing the full range of human resources strategic, operational, advisory and consulting support to department management, supervisors, and staff; work closely in a teaming capacity with other members of the DST in providing and coordinating support to customers.
- Advise on a full range of human resources areas to include coaching and consulting on strategic HR-related issues as well as day-to-day HR operations. Functional areas may include, organizational development, leadership development, employee relations, recruiting, workforce analytics, workforce planning, performance management, salary administration, rewards and recognition, training and development and team facilitation.
- Develop thorough knowledge and understanding of customer department’s business areas and types of work, unique needs, culture, skills, types of staff, and staff development and performance issues. Develop close working relationships with supervisors, managers, department staff, and others in key roles that coordinate with, or are supported by the DST. Develop keen understanding of customer-specific HR-related needs and develop necessary resources and solutions to meet those needs. Serve as a business partner to the customer, develop recommendations through research and best practices.
- Provide information and interpretation regarding HR systems, policies and practice. Provide proactive and ongoing assessments of inputs, issues, patterns, and trends across a department that may suggest existing or emerging HR needs, and play a leading role in formulating, recommending, and implementing targeted solutions to meet needs, achieve results, and resolve issues. Participate in, and/or lead the identification, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of HR-specific projects and programs that add strategic value and contribution to customer departments.
- Utilize knowledge of HR data sources and strong computer skills to independently gather, prepare, and analyze data and information for various reports and summaries. Prepare and deliver effective communications that synthesize information, convey ideas, conclusions, and recommendations in written and orally presented formats to audiences at all levels.
- Participate and/or lead teams of projects within the HDS Group and Human Resources and Services Department, as needed.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS/BA degree, or equivalent; at least 8 years of demonstrated professional-level experience and proficiency as a human resources business partner/generalist. Demonstrated experience with consulting on HR issues in a customer focused environment, identifying/assessing needs and creating OD type programs to support those needs. Strong project management leadership and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and demonstrated results producing high quality products and services. Strong demonstrated proficiency with computers and automation tools including Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Must have the ability to identify and utilize data resources effectively, provide analysis and articulate into meaningful insights. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Masters Degree in HR-related or business discipline; SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification, 15 or more years experience as a senior human resources business partner/generalist in a technical R&D and customer-focused environment; proven track record of leading teams; advanced capability and proficiency with computer and automation tools; experience on an HR department service team or business partner unit; proficiency in PeopleSoft or other HRIS system; Visier; Taleo; SharePoint and advanced Excel skills; experience with workforce analytic tools.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top