Senior Employee Relations Specialist
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Job Summary: Seeking a dynamic individual with demonstrated ability to be agile and collaborative; who will take initiative to pursue creative opportunities in alignment with the mission of the APL Talent Services Department. This individual will partner with supervisors and HR Business Partners to address performance and behavioral issues in accordance with APL's progressive discipline process; as well as support APL's inclusive culture by coordinating lab-wide initiatives that measure and promote employee engagement.
- Provide senior level oversight and administration of the Laboratory's progressive discipline process. Meet with supervisors to gather information, conduct confidential investigations when appropriate, review and analyze data, recommend appropriate action and, if necessary, draft disciplinary actions. Promote consistent and effective handling of discipline cases throughout the Laboratory. (55%)
- Present on APL's discipline process at Leaders Workshop and other ad hoc venues. (5%)
- Lead efforts to enhance APL culture and promote an engaging and inclusive environment. Build a menu of tools that measure staff satisfaction and invite feedback. Assist HR business Partners and APL leadership in administering tools. (35%)
- Perform other ad hoc responsibilities. (5%)
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field or equivalent years of related professional work experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience working in a fast-paced Human Resources setting.
- Five years experience in employee relations or performance management to include conducting internal investigations.
- Familiarity with employment related regulations, such as Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc.
- Robust sense of accountability: sound judgment and capability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Strong team player, collaborator and positive influence on organizational culture.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Master's degree in Human Resources
- Experience working with employee engagement surveys and tools.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top