Senior Embedded System Design Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you love developing digital signal processing algorithms in MATLAB and implementing in HDL to solve hard problems with real-world applications?
Are you willing to work on projects across a diverse problem space from high-reliability to rapid prototyping?
Do you want to work in an atmosphere where risk taking, innovation, and creativity are openly encouraged and sought out?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a senior embedded system design engineer to help us build innovative technology applications for the next generation of electronic warfare (EW) systems. Your work will contribute to ensuring the US and its allies the dominate the RF spectrum. You'll be joining our hardworking team of system engineers, algorithm developers, FPGA and embedded software engineers, and advanced EW technology enthusiasts who enjoy working together to craft creative solutions to complex challenges in addition to bringing real solutions from concept to prototyping.
As a senior embedded system engineer, we will trust you to …
- Lead the design and development of real-time embedded systems, including hardware selection, firmware architecture, programming, and design trades
- Architect and develop software and firmware
- Implement advanced digital signal processing algorithms for various types of communication, data link, radar, and jamming signals
- Develop algorithms for wireless communication ASIC's including research, simulation, architecture and detailed coding and testing
- Apply machine learning algorithms for EW applications
- Design high-speed FPGA and Digital Circuits PCBs
- Participate in prototyping and testing of new concepts
- Brief sponsors and internal APL
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have …
- Master's of Science (MS) degree in Engineering with a concentration in signal processing, or related discipline
- Strong MATLAB, C/C , Python, VHDL, and Verilog programming skills
- 15 years' experience in multi-rate signal processing, communications signal processing, time-frequency signal processing, phase-lock loops (PLL), FEC, carrier recovery, AGC using delta-sigma modulator, decision feedback equalizer, high speed MODEM, FPGA design, digital design, radar signal processing, waveforms generation, and machine learning (ML)
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Ph.D. in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Active DoD Secret level clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top