Senior Cybersecurity Engineer for Navy Weapon Systems
Introduction: At the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), we solve critical challenges in air and missile defense, homeland protection, cyber security, force projection, and space science. We are an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts essential research, development, and systems engineering to address these national security challenges. We take pride in achieving practical, operationally sound solutions to complex problems, with a focus on innovation, affordability, and timeliness. We are seeking a senior Cybersecurity Engineer for Navy weapon systems.
Job Summary: Realize your full potential on the cutting edge of innovation as we help defend our nation's air and missile defense systems against evolving cyber security threats. Apply advanced cybersecurity engineering concepts to real world operational and developmental systems and endeavor to improve cyber protection, detection, response, and resilience capabilities. Drive the definition and development of customized cybersecurity solutions for complex weapon systems. Lead cyber threat definition, risk assessment, and testing of the world's most advanced defense technology. Define the future through advanced research and development of next generation tactical cybersecurity solutions. Make game-changing contributions to the cyber protection of the nation's deployed Fleet as they tirelessly defend freedom around the world. Perfect your technical, critical-thinking, and teaming skills as you forge new experiences and expertise. Expand your social network as you work alongside imaginative and intriguing people in a collaborative, inventive, and fun environment. Apply now and take this challenge to transform yourself into a Navy Tactical System Cybersecurity Systems Engineer within one of the nation's premier applied research institutions.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
Lead the analysis of requirements, architecture, design, and fielded products for cybersecurity sufficiency and impact to performance of ship weapon systems (20%)
Drive industry-leading strategy, planning, and concept development for innovative new shipboard cybersecurity solutions (20%)
Leverage your expertise in cybersecurity to execute selection, assessment, implementation, and testing of cybersecurity solutions for ship weapon systems (20%)
Collaborate and guide premier subject matter expert teams to analyze cybersecurity risk and compliance of developmental and fielded ship weapon systems (20%)
- Develop, review, and guide the preparation of critical reports and briefs and present findings to senior leadership (20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Cybersecurity, Cyber Forensics, Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.
- Five or more years experience in an information technology, cybersecurity, systems engineering, or other relevant technical field
- Three or more years hands-on experience in software development, network management, or cybersecurity systems implementation or evaluation
- Specialization in an information technology or cybersecurity field (i.e., network design, software development, system testing, identity management, vulnerability management, incident response, penetration testing, reverse engineering, etc.)
- Expert knowledge or experience applying basic cybersecurity concepts and technologies such as firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention, malware detection, vulnerability management, configuration management, identity and access management, authentication, encryption, key management, application whitelisting, and network scanning
- Knowledge or experience implementing advanced cybersecurity concepts and technologies such as data analytics, cyber resilience, cyber testing, cyber operations, mission-system dependency analysis, advanced detection and analysis, automated response, virtualization, cyber deception, trusted computing, cyber forensics, hunt and remediation tools, cross domain solutions, cyber situational awareness, and cyber risk analysis
- Familiarity with DoD or Navy Shipboard Systems such as AEGIS, SSDS, TSCE, CEC, Standard Missile Systems, Sea Sparrow Missile Systems, Gun Weapon Systems, CIWS/RAM, Radar Systems (SPY, EASR, DBR, Rotating Systems), SLQ-21/SEWIP, SQQ-89, IFF, and Navigation.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others, successfully lead small task teams, and have positive impact in various sized teams of highly technical individuals
- Eager to learn, self-starter, critical thinker with ability to independently lead the research and consolidation of findings in papers and presentations
- Master of Science Degree in Cybersecurity, Cyber Forensics, Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.
- Cybersecurity certification such as Security , CISSP, CEH, or equivalent
- Ten or more years experience in an information technology or cybersecurity field
- Four or more years experience engineering, operating, providing acquisition support, or implementing Navy Shipboard Systems
- Six or more years hands-on experience in software development, network management, or cybersecurity systems implementation or evaluation
- Expert at designing and implementing basic cybersecurity concepts and technologies such as firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention, malware detection, vulnerability management, configuration management, identity and access management, authentication, encryption, key management, application whitelisting, and network scanning
- Expert at designing advanced cybersecurity concepts and technologies such as data analytics, cyber resilience, cyber testing, cyber operations, mission-system dependency analysis, advanced detection and analysis, automated response, virtualization, cyber deception, trusted computing, cyber forensics, hunt and remediation tools, cross domain solutions, cyber situational awareness, and cyber risk analysis
- Experience performing cyber penetration testing, blue team assessments, red team assessments, adversarial assessments, or designing cyber attacks
- Demonstrated understanding and use of the principles of systems engineering in the systems development lifecycle
- Operational and systems expertise of Navy shipboard weapon, combat, and support systems such as AEGIS, SSDS, TSCE, CEC, gun and missile weapon systems, air and surface search radars, undersea warfare sensors and weapons, tactical communications systems, electronic warfare systems, and navigation systems
- Expertise in applying NIST, DoD, and Navy cybersecurity requirements, processes, methodologies, and practices including the DoD Implementation of the NIST Risk Management Framework (RMF); the Navy's CYBERSAFE Program, Defense in Depth Functional Implementation Architecture (DFIA), and Cyber DT/OT; and PEO IWS's cybersecurity architecture and implementation requirements
- Excellent writing and speaking ability
- Demonstrated ability to lead research, preparation, and presentation of technical reports to technical audiences
- Ability to lead medium-sized teams (7-15 staff) in the conduct of technical work
- Current Secret clearance
- Boundless curiosity and initiative
- The desire to contribute to something bigger than yourself
Special Working Conditions: Work may require travel up to 10% in support of a diverse sponsor set.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top