Senior Control Systems Engineer
- Laurel, MD
We are seeking an innovative engineer to help us provide world-class guidance and control research and development for a wide variety of flight systems. Our team provides expertise on a multitude of programs, including hypersonic missiles, submarines, cruise missiles, and autonomous flight vehicles. We seek to develop a breadth of technical knowledge and experience so we can provide our sponsors with unparalleled perspective and innovation. You will have an opportunity to work on guidance, control, navigation, state estimation, and high fidelity simulation as a member of our team. We are passionate about learning and advancing state-of-the-art control theory and are committed to finding the best solutions for the programs we support.
As a Senior Control Systems Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to apply advanced guidance and control theory to a range of dynamic systems to solve complex technical problems for both simulation and flight test applications.
- You will take broad initiative in implementing innovative ways of analyzing unique systems. You should also be able to develop and employ high fidelity simulations to evaluate performance, utilizing knowledge of vehicle and trajectory dynamics.
- You will lead small teams in these technical areas, pulling together an understanding of different design requirements to guide the development process.
- As a team leader, you will also communicate with sponsors, developing and coordinating complex technical discussions and briefs.
- You will also perform research by utilizing a strong capability to understand modern control theory and related disciplines, identifying new areas of advancement.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a B.S. degree or equivalent in aerospace, mechanical, electrical engineering, or other related technical disciplines.
- Have at least 7 years relevant professional level experience.
- Show a desire to lead and mentor engineering teams.
- Maintain a background in control techniques with broad exposure to both modern and classical design.
- Have knowledge of flight system guidance algorithms and trajectory optimization.
- Are experienced in building physics based models, applying system dynamics and equations of motion in a simulation environment.
- Have skills in programming with MATLAB, C or other languages.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Should work effectively in a team environment while supporting multiple development projects concurrently.
- You should have strong initiative, creativity, breadth of experience, and a passion for learning.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimately obtain a Final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess MS or PhD in a related technical discipline.
- Have experience in project management and leading teams of people in technical development.
- Have experience with state estimation, navigation, mathematics, and optimization theory.
- Maintain a general understanding of software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop development.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top