Senior Acoustician (Sonar)
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC, is seeking a recognized expert in the community of underwater acoustics (sonar).
Job Summary: Provide expertise in underwater acoustics for the development and application of acoustic system and physics exploitation concepts in passive and active acoustics. Interact with Navy sponsors and internal stakeholders to promote new concepts and develop business for the Sea Control Mission Area. Act as Chief Scientist and/or Technical Lead on Navy experiments investigating new system or physics concepts. Participate on external panels as a subject matter expert in underwater acoustics. Act as an advisor to Sea Control Mission Area leadership on internal initiatives such as Independent Research and Development and on business strategy. Mentor junior acousticians and help to develop next-generation thought leaders in underwater acoustics.
- Develop and apply concepts for acoustic systems, signal processing, and signal and noise physics exploitation for passive and active underwater acoustic applications, including detection, array processing, and underwater communications. Work with Sea Control Mission Area program managers to develop a business strategy in Undersea Warfare (USW). Interact with Navy sponsors to promote new concepts and help develop solutions to Navy needs in underwater acoustics. (50%)
- Participate on external advisory boards/panels as an expert in acoustics and acoustic systems performance. Supply subject matter expertise and advice to SCMA leadership on all aspects of underwater acoustics in support of internal USW research efforts and business development initiatives. (10%)
- Lead/oversee development of models of system performance for novel acoustic concepts. (10%)
- Mentor junior acousticians and scientists. (10%)
- Brief findings and write reports for program staff, sponsors, and peer review groups. (20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Required Qualifications: Ph.D. in physics, mathematics, engineering, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience in execution of applied technical efforts. Experience in the fields of acoustics, operations, and sea tests. Strong written and communication skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and sponsors. Proactive and able to work independently and as a part of a team.
Desired Qualifications: Demonstrated experience in working effectively with senior Navy sponsors.
Special Working Conditions: Travel (domestic and foreign) including by air and aboard research and navy vessels to support sponsor meetings and sea tests.
Security: Top Secret Clearance is required. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for an SSBI and access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top