Semantic Web / Linked Data Scientist
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about building solutions for our greatest national security challenges?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes impact, innovation, and personal development?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We provide state-of-the-art semantic web-based systems for ontology-centered knowledge representation and intelligence analysis to support national security missions. We work in interdisciplinary teams comprised of physical scientists, intelligence analysts, cyber operations experts, software engineers, semantic web technologists, and ontologists. We partner with sponsors and users to understand requirements and to design, implement, and deploy innovative system solutions.
As a Semantic Web / Linked Data Scientist, you will...
- Primarily work with senior software engineers, semantic web technologists, ontologists, physicists, chemists, biologists, and related field subject matter experts to implement and deploy systems for analyzing big data within the realm of intelligence analysis.
- Conceive and design innovative methods for employing semantic technologies to the counter-WMD and intelligence analysis problem sets.
- Research and develop systems concerned with semi-automated or automated ontology construction alignment.
- Intersect semantic web / ontology based approaches with Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, and Data Mining techniques to make novel advancements in practical application and research of data science and analysis.
- Decompose real-world mission gaps into problems sets that can be addressed using set, information, and graph theoretic approaches.
- Support system deployment, troubleshooting and user training.
- Author and present papers on current research activities.
- On occasion, may be required to travel within the National Capital Region to deploy production systems or attend meetings, conferences. Occasional travel out of the area for sponsor / partner engagements may also be required.
Are you up for the job? You meet our minimum qualifications if you have...
- A Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science or similar academic discipline, and a strong understanding of core Computer Science academic theory regardless of degree.
- Practical experience building applications using standards and technologies falling within the semantic web stack (e.g., Jena, Sesame, Triple / Quad Stores). Proficiency with Resource Description Framework (RDF), Resource Description Framework Schema (RDFS) and SPARQL Graph Query Language, or similar technologies.
- A solid understanding Web Ontology Language (OWL), including the use of advanced features such as property restrictions, language profiles, consistency checking, and logical inference.
- Familiarity with Ontology engineering practices and modeling tradeoffs, along with a willingness to adopt upper ontology principles of Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) in systems design.
- Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency in object-oriented software engineering principles and including proficiency in software development using one or more modern languages such as Java and Python.
- The ability to work in an environment where only high-level requirements may exist in absence of a fully-defined detailed project schedule; and are able to creatively contribute towards developing new requirements by identifying customer needs and applying expertise and knowledge of available methods, tools, and concepts to those needs.
- Experience with integrated development environments, software architecture design and development, and software test and deployment.
- The ability to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our expectations if you have...
- Some familiarity with additional areas of study in the field of Intellgent Systems / AI such as knowledge discovery, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Classifiers, and Statistical Inference.
- A current TS/SCI clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top