Security Systems Technician
- Laurel, MD
Do you love to use your technical security background to improve physical security?
Are you searching for meaningful work in enhancing physical security at an innovative, world renowned employer?
Are you passionate about using technology to improve security?
Do you like contributing to a team of dedicated professionals with a common goal?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a physical and technical security specialist to help us maintain and improve our comprehensive security and access control systems. The focus of this position is to ensure that the video monitoring and access control systems are meeting the needs of our security program. You will also contribute to the installation, repair and maintenance of our vast alarm network. You will be joining a hardworking team of security experts who support the mission of APL's analysts, engineers and scientists. We are passionate about providing a superior product and our team is committed to excellence. We strive to foster an environment of initiative and vigilance.
As a Building Systems Technician III...
• Your primary responsibility will be to install, maintain, repair, test, problem solve and program the security video system and cameras. This includes service and repair of the cameras and domes. You will also be the liaison with outside vendors, coordinate work and remain current on the latest technology trends.
• You will also be part of the team responsible for the maintenance, repair, and programming of the Lenel OnGuard access control system and vehicle entry gates.
• You will design, maintain, repair, test, problem solve, and program data for all alarm system equipment including battery replacement, UL inspection and other tasks related to the system.
• You will utilize software (i.e. CAD) to document system schematics, facilitate analysis of systems, and document modifications. You will also maintenance and upgrade the security system as needed.
• Your contribution will also include coordinating the maintenance and operability of the campus mass notification system.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
• Possess a High School Diploma or GED
• Have a minimum of 4 years of experience with extensive knowledge and experience working with the installation, maintenance, problem solving, diagnosing and repair of security system equipment including access control systems, security video systems, and security alarm systems to include systems that operate via network communications (i.e. DMP alarms, IP Cameras, etc.)
• Have the ability to build and modify the basic system schematics to meet specialized needs.
• Are skilled in using personal computers to check segments of the overall network, work with other equipment, input data, and utilize computer aided design software and tools to facilitate analysis and document design enhancements.
• Can effectively communicate, orally and in writing, in the English language with representatives throughout the APL organization as well as external business contacts.
• Are willing and able to be on call and respond to after-hours emergencies.
• Can work outside from rooftops and special lifts and can work around commercial utilities.
• Possession a valid driver's license and can safely drive APL vehicles on and off campus.
• Are able to obtain an Interim Secret or Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
• Have prior experience with programming Lenel OnGuard and DMP alarm software.
• Design and document using AutoCAD.
• Are knowledgeable in NISPOM and U.L. 2050 security alarm requirements.
• Are accomplished at using commercial DMP, Genetec, HID, and Lenel products.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top