The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Security Officer .
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Verify the identification of employees and visitors by badge inspection and/or using the Security personnel databases.
- Make complete rounds and inspections as required.
- Provide control of all incoming and outgoing property.
- Patrol outside areas in accordance with security procedures. Enforce all parking regulations.
- Write required reports and complete forms manually and electronically to include sending and receiving e-mail.
- Miscellaneous tasks to include use of fire extinguishers; lifting heavy objects (e.g., classified waste bags); and employment of defense tactics.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
High School diploma or equivalent plus one year of security-related work experience (e.g. military, police, corrections) or a minimum of sixty (60) college credits in a related field (e.g. Criminal Justice, Psychology, etc.) from an accredited institution. Good interpersonal skills are required, and appropriate grooming is expected. Must be able to speak and write English to the level required to perform job tasks including interaction with a variety of people and writing reports. Basic computer knowledge to include the skills to use a security database and email. A valid motor vehicle operator’s license is required. The ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government issued security clearance. Officers may be required to occasionally work mandatory overtime.
Accredited training in defense tactics (e.g., restraint and handcuffing techniques), CPR and standard first aid and basic criminal investigation.
Special Working Conditions:
Shift assignment: 3pm – 11pm
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws, and values diversity in its workforce.
Back to top