Are you a "Cyber Ninja" ready to make a difference in the world?
Do you want an opportunity to utilize your skills to keep our military safe from virtual threats?
We are seeking a Secure Virtualization Engineer to help drive research, innovation, and the application of cutting edge cybersecurity solutions needed to defend our nation's air and missile defense systems from cyber threats. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to the cyber defense DoD systems. You'll be a member of our diverse team of cybersecurity experts that provide thought leadership and engineering expertise to address the evolving cyber threats facing our sponsors.
As a Secure Virtualization Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be designing, configuring, and administering virtualization platforms and mission-system secure Linux environments
- You will apply cybersecurity design principles to virtualized tactical system environments and apply hardening methods to ensure resilience of hypervisors and mission-system operating systems
- You will work with experts to integrate COTS, GOTS, and Open Source cybersecurity products into comprehensive cybersecurity solutions specifically tailored for DoD tactical systems
You will integrate with systems engineering teams and drive the deliberate definition and implementation of secure virtualization practices, technologies, and solutions
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field
- Have 5+ years of experience with Linux system administration and virtualization technologies (VMware, Citrix)
- Have extensive experience installing, configuring, administering, and troubleshooting Linux Operating Systems and networking services (NFS, NTP, DNS, FTP, Samba)
- Have intermediate knowledge of networking concepts and network device administration (Cisco IOS/NX-OS, Mellanox, etc.)
- Have the ability to read, write, and debug automation scripts (Bash, Powershell)
- Possess excellent communication skills. Highly motivated and ability to work independently to plan, identify problems, and produce results.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an MS or PhD: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Cyber Security, Computer Information Systems Security or related field.
- Have 7+ years of experience working with Linux system administration to include implementation of SELinux
- Have experience with hypervisor APIs and scripting for multi-host, multi-datastore virtual environments for Xen and ESXi
- Have experience with host-based and network-based Intrusion/Prevention tools for Linux (OSSEC, Samhain, Snort, Suricata)
- Have experience with industry standard Security Incident and Event Management Tools (Splunk, Graylog, ELK)
- Have experience with centrally managed end-point protection technologies (McAfee ePO, Symantec, Tanium)
- Have experience designing, implementing, and maintaining automation and configuration management systems and tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt)
- Have operational experience with Navy systems.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring occasional work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.