Scientific Software and Pipeline Developer
- Laurel, MD
Are you interested in science and excited about creating software?
Do you want to push the envelope of exploration by creating useful analysis tools?
Do you enjoy learning new concepts and working with others on innovative software projects?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a scientific software developer to help with an array of science-based and software-heavy analysis problems. Key efforts involve creating automated pipelines for product generation, algorithm development for higher level products, calibration tools, and machine learning. We also define and develop software for opportunity analysis and instrument planning and commanding. You'll be joining a team of engineers and scientists who love to combine their physics, engineering, and math knowledge with software skills to create tools for one-of-a-kind space programs involving both civil space efforts and national security projects.
As a scientific software developer, your primary responsibility will be the design and implementation of processing and analysis codes in Java and Python. Also, you will...
- work on several teams of developers, analysts, and scientists
- use your science knowledge to convert ideas into software requirements, designs and tools
- present results at internal meetings and to external sponsors
- use a professional, team-based development process
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- have a Master's Degree or equivalent in physics, engineering, or math, ora related field
- have 3 years of experience developing software in Java, Python, or Matlab
- are willing and able to learn new programming languages.
- have experience with space-based systems, optical, or radar data.
- are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected you will be subject to government securityclearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classifiedinformation. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- have a PhD in physics, engineering, or math
- have experience with gamma-ray or energetic particle particle instruments
- have used machine learning algorithms on time series or image data
- have written software in a team environment or for use by someoneother than yourself
- have 5 years of experience with scientific softwaresystems, data management, or data analysis
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top