- Laurel, MD
The Radar and Electronic Warfare Systems Development Group has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic microwave engineer who is motivated by making critical contributions to innovative projects while working in a diverse, multi-disciplined environment.
In this position, you will be working in the Advanced Microwave and Millimeter-wave Technologies Section in the areas of microwave system design and development for advanced radar and electronic warfare systems. You will be developing state of the art applications including advanced radar and communication systems, passive receivers, and digital phased arrays related to the dominance of the electromagnetic spectrum. Our sponsors rely on us to conceive, develop, and validate the concepts needed to enable the next generation of air and missile defense systems that are critical to the defense of the nation. If you share our passion and excitement for investigating and leading the development of next generation radar and EW systems, we want to talk to you!
As a R/F Microwave Engineer, you will...
1. Lead hardware development and proof of concept demonstrations including RF printed circuit board design, discrete component and coax cable level prototypes, integration of commercial transceivers, and system testing. Work in a multi-disciplinary team to investigate new hardware concepts and tradeoffs in relation to associated algorithms and applications. Full concept life cycle: design & development, integration, lab testing, outdoor testing, and analysis (30%).
2. Perform sub-system and component level hardware testing using laboratory equipment such as network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, power meters, signal generators, arbitrary waveform generators, software defined radios, and oscilloscopes. Develop instrument control scripts to create robust testing procedures and perform data analysis on measured results (30%).
3. Research, investigate, and experiment with new RF technologies such as millimeter-wave systems, digital phased-array, coherent distributed systems, efficient power amplifiers, and non-linear mitigation techniques in the context of radar and electronic warfare. Investigate use and applicability of different types of RF technology for use in unconventional ways (30%).
4. Research and collaboration with various subject matter experts and organizations on the impact of microwave technologies on radar and electronic warfare (10%).
You will meet our minimum requirements for the job if you have...
- A BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Coursework in the following areas: RF/Microwave Systems, RF/Microwave Circuits, Signals and Systems (Fourier Analysis), Digital Signal Processing, Electromagnetics, MATLAB
- 1-3 years of experience in RF hardware development/engineering including some of the following: RF system architecture, RF hardware design, simulation, evaluation, maintenance, support, testing and problem diagnosis
- Experience with microwave measurement equipment such as vector network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, arbitrary waveform generators, oscilloscopes, signal analyzers, and software defined radios
- Familiarity or interest in basic Digital Signal Processing for phased-array radars
- Ability to obtain a Secret clearance
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- M.S. in the disciplines listed above.
- Previous experience with Digital Signal Processing for phased-array radars or synthetic aperture radars
- Some experience working in the field of Electronic Warfare and RF
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top