Power Supply Design Engineer
- Laurel, MD
The Space Research Instrumentation group at APL builds instruments for spacecraft to produce data for scientific research. The team contains expertise that spans across all aspects of instrument production including electrical, mechanical, software, optics, physics and many more niche areas. Some examples of our work includes: the PEPSSI and LORRI instruments on the New Horizons Spacecraft, the RBSPICE instrument on the Van Allen Probes Spacecraft, the CRISM instrument on the MRO Spacecraft, and dozens more. We are currently working on instruments for the JUICE, Europa, Psyche, and Lucy Missions. We are seeking a talented individual to design custom power supplies for space flight instrumentation.
Summary: Perform specification, design, analysis, development and qualification of custom power converters for space flight instrumentation.
- Specification, design, analysis and development of instrument Low voltage DC/DC power supply. Develop flight and ground board-level hardware for DC/DC converter and ancillary power handling circuitry, such as under-voltage lockout, power-on reset signaling, oscillator synchronization, current limiting, EMI filtering, and other circuits.
- Design ground test equipment.
- Support design reviews, instrument level integration and testing, etc.
- B.S. in electrical engineering or closely related field
- At least 2 years of hands-on hardware design and development experience in various DC/DC converter topologies and analog power circuits.
- Knowledge of EMI/EMC, analog circuit simulation programs, magnetic design, state-space averaging and linearization techniques for control loop analysis and modeling of PWM converter circuits and systems.
- Leadership and organizational capabilities.
- Relevant space flight hardware experience is desired.
- High voltage power supply design experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and mentoring early career engineers.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top