Power Supply Design Engineer
- Laurel, MD
The Space Research Instrumentation group at APL builds instruments for spacecraft to produce data for scientific research. The team contains expertise that spans across all aspects of instrument production including electrical, mechanical, software, optics, physics and many more niche areas. Some examples of our work includes: the PEPSSI and LORRI instruments on the New Horizons Spacecraft, the RBSPICE instrument on the Van Allen Probes Spacecraft, the CRISM instrument on the MRO Spacecraft, and dozens more. We are currently working on instruments for the JUICE, Europa, Psyche, and Lucy Missions. We are seeking a talented individual to design custom power supplies for space flight instrumentation.
Summary: Perform specification, design, analysis, development and qualification of custom power converters for space flight instrumentation.
- B.S. in electrical engineering or closely related field
- At least 2 years of hands-on hardware design and development experience in various DC/DC converter topologies and analog power circuits.
- Knowledge of EMI/EMC, analog circuit simulation programs, magnetic design, state-space averaging and linearization techniques for control loop analysis and modeling of PWM converter circuits and systems.
- Leadership and organizational capabilities.
- Relevant space flight hardware experience is desired.
- High voltage power supply design experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and mentoring early career engineers.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site atwww.jhuapl.edu.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top