Post-Doctoral Associate in Quantum Information
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a post-doctoral associate in quantum information theory.
Job Summary: Develop original research and to support existing quantum theory and modeling programs.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
Perform independent research in the area of quantum information science; contribute new insights into existing problems that require novel solutions. Be responsive to the needs of both APL and our sponsors. Develop new research focus areas for JHU/APL, such as quantum error correction, quantum algorithm development open quantum systems theory, and quantum control. (50%)
Support existing programs in quantum information science by generating novel ideas and insight toward efficient computational modeling & simulation of both physical devices and quantum circuits, including the effects of decoherence and control errors in realistic devices/systems. (40%)
- Cultivate new programs by identifying emerging opportunities and challenges; write proposals for new funding. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- PhD in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a closely related field.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following: Physics-based modeling of quantum devices, design and optimization of quantum circuits, high-level quantum programming languages, fault-tolerant quantum computing, quantum error correction, and modeling of open quantum systems.
- Scientific programming with experience in at least one high-level language (e.g., C or C ), distributed and parallel computing (e.g., Open MPI, CUDA, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated record of research accomplishment and publications in the field of quantum information science.
- Demonstrated initiative, motivation, flexibility, and experience working effectively in a team environment.
- Excited by the prospect of a dynamic work environment with the ability to participate in and prioritize concurrent tasks.
- Record of significant contributions on team-oriented projects pursuing highly complex objectives.
- The ideal candidate would have experience in both quantum information theory and software development.
- Experience collaborating closely with experimentalists.
- Demonstrated academic track record of research and publications in the area of fault-tolerant quantum computing.
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours): Occasional travel to conferences or meetings (~10%).
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top