Plant Biology Postdoctoral Fellow
Do you marvel at the complexity of plants and seek to leverage plant biology in creative ways that extend beyond agricultural applications?
Do you love contributing your expertise to an interdisciplinary team of scientists focused on creating unique applications for plant science?
Do you want to build a future in which biology is a true engineering discipline and can you envision a role for plant biology in this future?
Do you have experience with plant transgenesis and high-throughput phenotyping?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.
We are seeking a Plant Biologist Postdoctoral Fellow to help support existing work focused on using plants as sensors and on creating novel applications that leverage plants in new ways. You should have extensive experience growing, manipulating, and studying plants. As part of the Biological Sciences Group, this position is at the forefront of APL's mission to provide critical contributions to critical challenges. You should be capable of mentoring associate staff members to conduct labororatory work and working with senior staff to assist in building a vision for plant biology at APL. A highly motivated and dedicated Plant Biologist will be able to contribute to building extraordinary expertise in pursuit of challenges in biological sciences for defense applications. As part of the Biological Sciences Group in the Research and Exploratory Development Department, this position is at the forefront of APL's mission to accelerate transformative innovation and invent the future.
As a Plant Biology Postdoctoral Fellow...
•Your primary role will be supporting and advancing existing efforts in plant biology, including engineering plants to be sensors, studying how anthropogenic stresses affect plant heath, and building new application spaces for plant biology within the realm of operational biology.
•You will be an advocate for your discipline and champion the inclusion of plant biology into projects across APL.
•You will support study design, execution, and data analysis as a technical leader.
•You will communicate key findings both internally across teams and externally to sponsors.
•You will join a dedicated team and contribute to plant biology strategy
•You will be a part of a team providing leadership in the development of new opportunities and support internal initiatives, driving technical innovation and growth in areas relevant to APL sponsors.
•You will participate in the Biology and greater APL community, which includes presenting data at Lab meetings and to Department management.
•You will participate in collaboration and innovation opportunities to help ensure the success of APL's mission.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
• Ph.D. in Plant Biology or related discipline.
• 0-2 years experience post-graduation.
• Demonstrated expertise in plant transgenesis. Relevant expertise includes agrobacterium or viral-mediated expression as well as experience working with protoplasts.
• Demonstrated expertise in plant phenotyping. Relevant expertise includes gas exchancge measurements, image data collection and analysis, etc.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills; ability to lead and contribute to teams from any position.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
• Strong background with molecular biology or biochemistry techniques including design and execution of qPCR experiments, cloning techniques, analysis of gene expression data, and protein isolation and purification.
• Demonstrated expertise in remote imaging techniques. Relevant expertise includes knowledge of MATLAB and ImageJ.
• Experience with thermal and hyperspectral data collection and analyses
• Expertise in gene editing technologies.
• Knowledge of chloroplast trafficking and plant responses to thermal stress.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top