Physicist / Electrical Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country’s toughest national security problems?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes continual innovation?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join out team at APL.
Our team is looking to provide our country with groundbreaking capabilities that push the boundaries of sensor capabilities and data interpretation. To succeed, we need talented scientists and engineers! We are looking for individuals with curiosity, problem-solving skills, and a drive for learning!
The Tactical Intelligence Systems Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is looking for a Physicist, Geophysicist, or Electrical Engineer to develop inventive, cutting-edge prototype solutions to challenges in sensor development, electromagnetic phemonology interpretation and data analysis.
As a Physicist / Electrical Engineer, you will:
- Primarily participate in design and execution of geophysical sensor field tests for data collection and sensor system demonstration; as well as processing and quantitatively analyzing data from multiple sensor modalities
- Collaborate with Laboratory, for-profit contractors, and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
- Survey current academic and industry research for state-of-the-art capabilities in new sensor phenomenology and generating innovative ideas to benefit the country
- Feature extraction and identification over large data sets to feed automated algorithm development
- Effectively communicate results with non-expert audiences
- Apply knowledge in electromagnetic theory, quantitative analysis, and signal processing to sensor solutions for challenges facing our sponsors
- Work independently and on teams to engineer hardware and software solutions
- Explore promising research and maintain/gain the technical edge required for projects. Share and develop new approaches and methods
- Collaborate to document and support hardware design and software analytics, and clearly present status and results to internal and external stakeholders
- Some limited travel (up to 10%) to customer sites and field tests may be required. Occasional weekend and other after-hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a B.S. degree in Physics, Geophysics, Electrical Engineering, or related technical field with 2 years of relevant experience
- Have an understanding of and interest in designing and/or developing electromagnetic wave sensing applications
- Possess basic knowledge of sensor or signal processing approaches
- Have a minimum of one year of programming experience
- Are able to obtain a Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a M.S. or PhD degree in Physics, Geophysics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field and 5 years of relevant experience
- Understand common digital signal processing methods and approaches used to organize and analyze large data sets
- Have expertise with programming languages such as MATLAB, Lab VIEW, and C/C
- Have experience with design and optimization of embedded Linux systems and are experienced with PCB design software such as Altium, Cadence/Allegro/OrCAD, or NI Multisim/Ultiboard
- Are experienced with team-based development and testing of hardware/software products
- Possess the ability to lead development/research projects
- Have an Active, current Department of Defense security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top