- Laurel, MD
Are you searching for meaningful work solving complex oceanographic research problems and applying them to problems of national importance?
Are you passionate about pursuing further knowledge of ocean dynamics through both modeling and observation?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a physical oceanographer with a research background in ocean and surface wave modeling with an emphasis on resolving upper ocean dynamics over a wide range of scales. You will become a member of a diverse team of inter-disciplinary scientists in the Oceanic, Atmospheric and Remote Sensing Sciences group. Our mission is to apply state of the art research to multi-faceted, complex problems of national importance. You will join our highly collaborative team, bringing to bear your knowledge of ocean processes and applying them to challenging problems. You will have the opportunity to play a role in the planning, execution and analysis of complex sea tests to inform our knowledge of the ocean over a broad range of length and time scales and apply that data to validate ocean models.
As a Physical Oceanographer at APL...
- You will apply fundamental oceanographic research techniques to help tackle many challenging research and applied problems of interest to the wide sponsor base that APL supportsYou will apply cutting edge upper ocean and surface wave modeling techniques to gain insights into ocean dynamics over a wide range of scales
- You will analyze ocean data in support of model validation and environmental characterization
- You will have the opportunity to participate in the planning and execution of complex sea tests
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a PhD in physical oceanography, physics or other related discipline
- Are skilled in the study of small-scale ocean turbulence and/or surface wave dynamics
- Are proficient in Matlab, Python or other high level processing software
- Have experience in running and interpreting upper ocean models
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Are experienced in numerical methods in geophysical fluid dynamics
- Are experienced in Fortran, C , and MPI
- Have an active Top Secret level security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top