Payroll Coordinator (Part Time)
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. is seeking a Payroll Coordinator.
Job Summary: Assist payroll staff in the processing of the bi-weekly payroll for approximately 6,000 employees.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Assist with the processing of the bi-weekly payroll, which includes validating the timekeeping data, entering one time adjustments to employee pay data, researching HR and Benefit discrepancies, generating payroll reports and verifying the output. (40%)
- Assist with researching and responding to employee inquiries related to earnings, deductions, taxes, leave and timekeeping. This includes analyzing inquiries, generating reports and determining the payroll and labor distribution impact. (20%)
- Assist with maintaining and verifying employee payroll data in the HRIS(e.g. taxes, direct deposits, other earnings). (20%)
- Assist with tax filing and reporting as needed. (10%)
- Assist in the filing, archiving and purging of payroll and employee data as needed. (5%)
- Assist with other duties and special projects as required or as assigned for the role. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years experience in payroll processing
- Working knowledge of HRIS/Payroll systems
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Must be able to perform under tight deadlines with flexibility towards changing requirements
- Demonstrated ability to work with staff addressing sensitive and confidential situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Working knowledge of MicroSoft Office suite of products (e.g. Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Ability to work independently, think critically and resolve staff issues in a professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Experience with PeopleSoft HRIS application or other HR/Benefits/Payroll integrated system
- Familiarity with an automated Time & Attendance system
- Knowledge of garnishment processing
- Multi-state payroll experience
Special Working Conditions: This is a regular, part-time position approximately 20 hours per week.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top