Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Packaging Engineer.
Job Summary: Packaging Engineer in support of the package design effort for space electronics hardware from conceptual definition through final implementation.
- Assist the package design effort of space-qualified electronics hardware from conceptual definition through final implementation, including proposal generation, structural and thermal analysis, feasibility analysis, and reliability studies.
- Promote innovative packaging techniques with an understanding of advanced electronic miniaturization and corresponding requirements for space applications.
- Participate in fabrication feasibility/readiness reviews, design reviews, configuration control board reviews, technical briefings, and vendor performance reviews.
- Evaluate technical performance from vendor supplied parts and subsystems.
- Participate in the independent technical assessment of in-house and external subcontractor manufacturing capabilities.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Material Sciences.
- Hands on experience with thermal and stress (linear and non-linear) analysis.
- Familiar with NASA, ANSI, IPC, and MIL requirements, systems safety, parts control, and materials selection for space flight hardware.
- Must have good communications and team building skills.
- Background and experience in electronics packaging engineering is desired. Familiar with CAD, CAE software (Pro Engineer, FEMAP, ANSYS, TAS, etc.).
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top