The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an Optical Scientist/Engineer.
Job Summary: The Experimental and Computational Physics Group seeks a knowledgeable, detail-oriented optical scientist/engineer to perform a variety of analytic, theoretical, and experimental research tasks. Projects will involve the development of novel coherent optical interferometric techniques to support remote sensing applications for both biology and national security-related fields .
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Work closely with Principal Investigators to design, construct, and operate optical imaging systems. Design and conduct experiments, make measurements, troubleshoot instrumentation. Consistently work to improve methodology and focus on obtaining highest quality data. With growing experience, work to identify new areas for investigation and subsequently develop concepts and proposals, leading to new funding. (60%)
2. Analyze data, synthesize results, and make needed recommendations. (30%)
3. Prepare reports and present results internally. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Masters or PhD or equivalent in optics, physics, or related technical field (bachelors with 5 year’s relevant experience may be considered in exceptional cases).
- Coursework in optics, physics, and signal processing.
- Experience in the design, construction, and maintenance of optical instrumentation and systems. Examples include: coherent imaging, holography, and interferometry.
- Background in image processing techniques via coursework or experience. Excellent writing and report preparation skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to work effectively in small teams.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional travel may be required (less than 20%).
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top