Operations Research Scientist
- Laurel, MD
Do you love to push the bounds of science and technology?
Do you want to make meaningful contributions to operations research (OR), artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and data analytics?
Are you passionate about informing decision-makers by developing cutting-edge techniques?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We're seeking a creative and ambitious operations research scientist to lead the development of an array of descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive techniques to provide insight to decision-makers. You will seek leading-edge AI and ML solutions for some of the country's toughest national security problems. You will contribute to the development of software systems that incorporate optimization, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and visual analytics to support complex missions for U.S. national security components including the Armed Services, Special Operations, and national emergency support.
We at APL are passionate about building new and exciting solutions for our sponsors, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to cultivate an environment of collaboration and teamwork, and highly value substance and innovation. At APL, you will be among creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers, and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As an Operations Research Scientist...
- Your primary responsibility will be to lead and work within a small technical team to design and develop automated planning and scheduling algorithms and software.
- You will engage with sponsors to determine technical requirements.
- You will design and code prototype software applications.
- You will test, deploy, maintain and enhance software integration with database applications.
- You will develop and maintain software documentation and user manuals.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Master's Degree in Operations Research, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Sciences, Applied Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- Have extensive knowledge of and experience with modern optimization and AI planning techniques and tools, including CPLEX, Gurobi, COIN-OR, or other similar optimization and prescriptive analytic tools.
- Have deep experience developing a variety of analytic operations research models to support decision-making.
- Are proficient in Python and Java programming languages.
- Have experience with other prescriptive analytic methodologies, including decision analysis, Monte Carlo simulation, and game theory.
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in written form.
- Possess the ability to prioritize tasks and work as part of a team and independently.
- Are eligible for or possess a DoD Top Secret / SCI clearance.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have published peer-reviewed technical papers on relevant techniques.
- Have experience with supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, including deep neural networks and graph analytics.
- Have experience with other AI techniques, including reinforcement learning.
- Have knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
- Have knowledge of agile methodology, unit testing, and continuous integration.
- Have knowledge of national security applications and challenge areas.
- Possess current DoD Top Secret clearance. Preference for current SSBI.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top