The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.is seeking an office administrator.
Job Summary: Provide administrative support for the Environmental, Health and Safety Group (THS) in the Talent Services Department.
- Inventory, monitor, and order supplies/equipment for the group. Reconcile procurement card reports, complete internal chargebacks for services and materials. (25%)
- Manage the EHS training program systems, including scheduling courses, preparing training support materials, managing Sector/Department scheduling requirements, and maintaining training records and documentation (INTELEX). (15%)
- Support preparation, review, editing, distribution, and filing of memoranda, reports, and letters for THS staff. Organize and maintain electronic office files and logs.
- Develop and prepare monthly THS budget expenditure statements; develop recommendations for non-labor purchasing decisions. (10%)
- Manage contract processes, including generation of justifications, development of requisitions, and oversight of contract requirements for external services (e.g., hazardous waste removal, APL physicians, crane inspections). (10%)
- Identify, implement and maintain a chemical management system to track chemical inventories throughout APL. (10%)
- Coordinate and execute APL's quarterly Red Cross Blood Drive, the annual flu program, the annual Safety Shoe program, and year-round inspections conducted by the APL Safety Committee. (10%)
- Organize meeting schedules, monitor THS Group email and voicemail, coordinate office furniture and computer acquisition, process conference registrations and professional membership renewals for THS staff. (10%)
- Seek opportunities to make the group more effective and productive by identifying and implementing new/improved administrative procedures. (5%)
- Provide administrative support to the Medical Services Office when needed, assist with a dosimetry badge exchange program, escort contractors during hazardous materials shipments, and conduct the THS portion of New Staff Orientation training. Provide back-up support for other group needs and other duties as required. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus at least five years of relevant administrative work experience.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency/demonstrated capabilities in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments with minimal direct supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to learn additional software tools and systems.
- Proficiency/demonstrated ability using Enterprise Business Support System (EBSS) and INTELEX.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional extended or shifted work hours based on group needs.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top