Navy Surface Platform (AEGIS) Cybersecurity Systems Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Navy Surface Platform Cybersecurity Systems Engineer.
Provide Navy Surface Platform engineering and operational expertise in support of the analysis, development, implementation, and testing of Cybersecurity capabilities within shipboard Combat Systems, C4I systems, HM&E systems, and other relevant platform network and computing environment enclaves.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Provide subject matter expertise on Navy Shipboard Systems and Operations (40%)
- Analyze requirements, architecture, design, and fielded products for Cybersecurity sufficiency and impact to performance of ship systems (40%)
- Participate in strategy and concept development for new shipboard Cybersecurity solutions (20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelors Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field and 6 years of Navy shipboard operational experience OR 12 years of U.S. Navy shipboard experience operating or maintaining C4I, Combat, or HM&E systems
- U.S. Navy Surface Warfare qualification
- Demonstrated knowledge of Cybersecurity, Information Assurance, or Computer Network Operations
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proven ability to work in small teams and demonstrate critical thinking in developing solutions to complex problems
- Requires an active Secret clearance.
- Masters of Science Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Cybersecurity, or Information Operations
- Post Department Head, XO, or CO experience with at least one tour as CSO, OPS, or CHENG of an AEGIS DDG or AEGIS CG; OR experience as an LCPO ET, OS, IT, IC, FC, GSM, GSE, GM(M), or GM(G) on an AEGIS DDG or AEGIS CG
- Detailed technical understanding and operational/maintenance experience with AEGIS ship C4I, Combat, and HM&E systems
- Experience as a systems engineer for a major acquisition program with an understanding of the system development lifecycle (requirements, architecture, design, development, testing)
- Cybersecurity education, training, or certification (CISSP preferred)
- Demonstrated successful team leadership experience in the development of solutions to complex tasks
Special Working Conditions: Work may required up to 15% travel in support of a diverse sponsor base.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top