Navigation Analyst and Software Developer
- Laurel, MD
Are you looking to apply your analytical and software development skills to provide insight into some of the most unique navigation challenges and develop methods to assess and possibly mitigate their impact to the US Navy’s tactical and strategic missions?
Are you interested in joining a team of engineers, applied mathematicians and physicists as we pursue innovative solutions to the timely and timeless maritime navigation problem under constantly evolving challenges in support of the US Navy?
If so, then we want you on our team! We are the Navigation group in the Force Projection Sector at JHU/APL. We are seeking a Navigation Analyst and Software Developer to help us ensure the US Navy has the most accurate, yet reliable navigation systems in the world. Our navigation expertise support tactical and strategic missions of upmost importance to the US Navy in an increasingly challenging environment.
In this role:
- You will be responsible for developing, maintaining and using analysis tools to assess Navigation performance for the most critical missions of the US Navy
- You will become an expert on the theory behind cutting-edge maritime navigation systems and their support of the US Navy’s tactical and strategic missions.
- You will join a highly talented and motivated team of mathematicians, engineers and physicists focused on navigation error analysis with many opportunities to collaborate with other innovative experts from a variety of technical fields.
Your specific tasks will include
- Developing analysis tools that implement mathematical models governing the performance of the most accurate inertial navigation systems in the US Navy surface and subsurface fleet.
- Implementing in software the physics-based models for how the various supporting aids to the navigation system interact and influence the inertial system.
- Assessing the fidelity of the navigation systems being studied then presenting your conclusions and recommendations to decision-makers.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Master's or PhD in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or similar technical field. A B.S. with several years of experience in a related field will also qualify.
- Have at least 3 years of experience using a high-level programming language like MATLAB or Python to develop software for data analysis and/or physics-based modeling/simulation.
- Have the verbal and writing skills and disposition necessary for documenting and presenting work to APL colleagues and government sponsors
- Enjoy solving challenging technical problems requiring both self-motivated independent investigation and collaborative team effort
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to US Navy facilities, bases and contractor sites to present results.
- Have an active Secret security clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have experience with Kalman filters and/or modern system estimation methods
- Have experience modeling navigation sensors including IMUs, GPS, navigational sonars (Doppler Velocity Log, Correlation Velocity Log)
- Have a Top Secret security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top